Machteld Robichon is partner at bureau Brandeis. She assists parties in disputes with regulators such as the Dutch Media Authority, the Dutch Gaming Authority, the Netherlands Authority for Consumers and Markets and the Dutch Data Protection Authority. These often concern strategic cases that include public policy, such as the modernization of the Dutch Gaming Act and the admission of new operators.
In addition to her many years of experience in litigating in administrative law, Machteld provides practical advice on regulation in the media, telecom and gaming sectors.
Previously, Machteld worked with SOLV and Kennedy van der Laan.
Machteld Robichon’s recent work:
- Assisting providers in several enforcement procedures with the Dutch Media Authority, the Dutch Gaming Authority and the Netherlands Authority for Consumers and Markets, including the recent ruling of the Council of State that the prohibition to promote games of chance does not apply to payment services. As a consequence the order subject to a penalty the Dutch Gaming Authority imposed on a PSP was cancelled.
- Advising on implementation of collaboration between public broadcaster RTV NH and AT5 within the limits of the Media Act.
- Litigating on behalf of Radio538 concerning its digital and FM frequency license.
- Representing NEM in cassation appeal at the Supreme Court. The procedure is currently pending at the Court of Justice for preliminary questions on lawfulness fees/licenses to install fibre networks under the Services Directive and Telecom Framework.
- Advising providers on information request from law enforcement or regulators.
- Successful appeal on behalf of Lottovate at Amsterdam District Court against rejection of lottery application (ruling 16 May 2016). This resulted in the opening of the lottery market by the Gaming Authority for new entrants.
- Various procedures on information requests under the Government Information Act.
Ranked Chambers 2020
“Machteld Robichon frequently assists clients from the media sector with advertising, broadcasting and media regulatory matters. Clients appreciate Robichon’s tenacity and think “she is very good in court.””
Ranked in legal 500
“Machteld Robichon has a unique knowledge of gaming and media law especially and law enforcement issues. She is straight forward, honest and has integrity.”
“They are leading in the gambling law field and have successfully advised and supported new entrant firms in litigation against the state and during licensing processes. They are pro-active and business minded and do not think in limitations but in solutions.”
“Machteld Robichon listens very well and is able to transform the story of the client into a viable legal strategy. She follows through and does not give up, even in dire situations.”