Syb is an associate at bureau Brandeis. He specialises in media & entertainment law as well as intellectual property law (including trademarks, trade names, advertising and copyright). Syb also has extensive experience in matters regarding database law, image rights and celebrity endorsements. Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars 2018 acknowledged Syb as an “excellent associate” and a “rising star” within the field of trademarks and copyright.
Before joining bureau Brandeis in the course of 2018, Syb worked as a senior associate with a large international law firm in Amsterdam for almost 5 years. Being active for clients in the media & entertainment industry, Syb’s extensive experience as a producer and musician (DJ and guitarist in various bands) serves him well.
- representing one of Europe’s biggest real estate companies before the EU Intellectual Property Office and the District Court of Haarlem in trademark proceedings in relation to “Mall of the Netherlands”;
- representing a leading international producer of food products in landmark proceedings before the Appeal Court of Arnhem-Leeuwarden and the Court of Justice of the EU regarding the question whether the taste of a food product can be protected by copyright;
- representing various clients in the FMCG sector before the Dutch Advertising Committee regarding the alleged use of misleading advertisements;
- representing the world’s biggest social media platform in the investigation by the Dutch Data Protection Authority (Autoriteit Persoonsgegevens) into its data policy and other privacy matters;
- representing various clients before the Benelux Office for Intellectual Property and Dutch Courts with regard to the protection and enforcement of their IP rights;
- advising and representing various internationally renowned DJ’s and producers in both contractual and IP-related disputes with – among others – managers, venues, other artists, etc.;
- advising and representing a television presenter in a dispute with a production company;
- advising and representing various music labels and artist managers in disputes concerning – among others – record deals, management contracts and publishing deals.
Syb recently published the chronicle on trademark law 2016 – 2017 in the Dutch professional journal Berichten Industriële Eigendom. Furthermore, Syb is an active member of:
- AIPPI (International Association for IP);
- BMM (Benelux Association for Trademark law and Design rights);
- IAEL (International Association of Entertainment Lawyers);
- VIEPA (Association for IP Litigation Lawyers);
- VvA (Association for Copyright Law).