Syb is a senior associate at bureau Brandeis. He specialises in intellectual property law and media & entertainment law. Syb has extensive experience in trade mark law and he has considerable knowledge of sponsorship contracts and celebrity endorsements.
Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars recognised Syb as an “excellent associate” and a “rising star” in the field of trademark and copyright law in 2018/2019/2020. Additionally, in 2020, the leading ranking of lawyers Legal500 considered Syb to be a “recommended associate”. A quotation from the Legal500 ranking:
“Syb Terpstra is a very intelligent, young talent with a great future ahead of him. Very smart and sharp and at the same time very approachable in his communication. ”
Before joining bureau Brandeis in the course of 2018, Syb worked as a senior associate with De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek for almost 5 years. Being active for clients in the media & entertainment industry, Syb’s extensive experience as a producer and musician (DJ and guitarist in various bands) serves him well.
Some of Syb´s recent work includes:
In the area of entertainment:
- Representing Spinnin Records and MusicAllStars in their appeal proceedings against Martin Garrix;
- Representing various internationally renowned DJs and producers in contractual as well as IP law disputes;
- Advising both athletes and sponsors in negotiations on sponsorship agreements;
- Advising a television presenter in a dispute with a production company and the Dutch Media Authority (Commissariaat voor de Media);
- Advising music labels and artists (and their managers) on, amongst others, record deals, management deals, booking agreements and publishing agreements.
In the area of IP (trade mark law and copyright law):
- Representing production company Submarine before the EU Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) in opposition proceedings against a trade mark filing by a third party;
- Representing Hoog Catharijne before the EUIPO and at the Haarlem District Court in various trade mark proceedings;
- Representing Royal Smilde in ground-breaking litigation before the European Court of Justice on the issue of whether flavour is subject to copyright protection;
- Representing various clients before Dutch courts, the EUIPO, the Benelux Office for Intellectual Property (BOIP) and various national trade mark offices worldwide with regard to the protection and enforcement of their trade mark rights and other IP rights.
Syb has published on his field of expertise in, amongst others, the professional journal Berichten Industriële Eigendom. He is also an active member of the AIPPI / BMM / IAEL / VIEPA / VvA. As member of the AIPPI Young Members Committee, Syb successfully completed the postgraduate IP and procedural law specialization course at the SK Martens Academy in 2020.