Lex Keukens is associate at bureau Brandeis. He has a professional focus on litigation in the areas of media and entertainment law, trade name and trade mark law, copyright law, privacy law and administrative law.
Lex specializes in the legal aspects of the digitalizing information society services. Lex advises start-ups . He is interested in cloud computing and issues of privacy law concerning cross-border personal data transfers. Lex joined bureau Brandeis in August 2014. Previously, he worked as attorney for a mid sized law firm in Amsterdam.
Lex represents national and international publishers, software producers, retailers, online intermediaries and multi channel networks. Lex is regularly requested to advise clients who are active in the music, film and book industry on different subjects and to represent them in legal proceedings. In his work, he focusses on questions concerning the legal consequences of digitalization in the media and entertainment sector.
Lex litigates regularly, mostly in summary proceedings, for clients confronted with trade name and trademark infringements. He has extensive experience with complex proceedings and advice on copyright law and database law.
Furtermore, Lex advises educational publishers on complex privacy-sensitive issues. For example the processing of personal data within an e-health environment and public registers.
In the field of administrative law, Lex mainly concentrates on private entities, governed by administrative law. This mostly regards accrediting institutions. Lex regards objection and appeal proceedings, ultimately before the Council of the State, as part of his job.
- Representing Pearson Assessment & Information before the Court of Appeal of Amsterdam where parties aim to ascertain which parts of a psychological test should be considered a Work under Dutch Copyright and Database law (pending);
- Accompanying a large educative publisher in setting up an e-health environment;
- Initiating summary proceedings for several companies because of trade name infringements;
- Representing clients in main proceedings as well as summary proceedings regarding questions of whether certain expressions can be deemed unlawful;
- Assessing different author’s agreements for several large publishers and aligning these agreements with the newly introduced Copyright Contract Act (wet auteurscontractenrecht);
- Assisting an engineering company on the issue of whether certain software was protected by copyright.
- International Association of Entertainment Lawyers (http://www.IAEL.org)
- Vereniging voor Auteursrecht (http://www.verenigingvoorauteursrecht.nl)
- Vereniging voor Media- en Communicatierecht (http://www.mediaforum.nl/index.php?pid=6)